• Removal of the existing paintwork, which is cracked and peeling in many places.
• Repointing and stonework repairs to improve the external condition of the masonry and to prevent water penetration into the buildings.
• Roof repairs and replacement, where required.
• Renewal of downpipes and gutters to improve rainwater disposal.
• Lime rendering to protect the walls of the buildings.
• Limited structural repairs.
• Window repairs and replacement, where required.
ARPL Architects Ltd director Gordon Fleming said: "We are very pleased that finally the gateway to Ayr is to be restored as a worthy landmark for the town."